Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Life at the Reuwer's





















Well the last three weeks we have has at least 4 if not 5 appointments a week. In the mix, Mike got his wisdom teeth pulled and ended up getting dry socket, putting him out of commission and in pain for almost 2 weeks. Crazy!!! He is good now and life is finding a pace, kinda. Before wisdom teeth drama, Mike had been pretty much running the house. Laundry, dishes, helping with dinner, setting up weekly rental car and... for about 2 weeks, it was a much needed break. In our typical all or nothing style that fizzled out and know our home looks like a tornado hit. We are seriously always trying to figure the house managing thing out, if only I could afford someone to do it for me.



I am training for a half marathon in the fall, it has been a great experience, you can read my other blog for the crazy reasoning behind this, because if you know me, you know I HATE running. I have learned so much and am enjoying the process, as much as I can anyway. http://www.be-alivebreathe.blogspot.com/. I am also sewing more and more and still involved in my internship class which has been so Amazing. I am growing daily and I love it.



Last week we had a very exciting appointment for Phoenix and some not so exciting. He got fitted for his first wheelchair, standing frame and bath seat and a specially made car seat will be when he reaches 20 lbs. Though it seems early Mike and I feel it is essential to give him the same freedoms and tools as others his age. He will be able to sit upright and be at peers level just as a child his age would be standing. Along with a million other benefits, for digestion and trunk control and independence. They have actually done studies on children as young as 6mo. with disabilities,mentally and physically using little joystick driven wheelchair/cars and the development and benefits have been phenomenal!! So needless to say after meeting with Benny our amazing equipment guy I was encouraged and so excited for Phoe to have his first set of wheels right in time for his first b-day. I can not believe how near that is!! What a miracle he is.


I know that for some reading this you may feel discouraged or numerous other emotions that Phoenix is paralyzed. But I just want to say, though there are aspects that blow my mind and bridges that I will not cross in my mind until we get there, like pumping his own gas, that one is hard for me. What a chore that will be for him. I am in Full Faith that his disability will challenge, provoke and change many of us to SEE bigger and pray differently. They are so many other areas for Phoenix that take more of my attention than this, so please just be excited with me for the freedom and advancements this day and age offer to him.


Therapy has taken its toll, going from 2 days a week to 3 days has been challenging. I am away from home much more than I would like. But I look forward to Thursday as a day of catch up and chilling out with the boys. Order comes on Thursdays in bits and pieces. Since we have been having appointments on Thursdays, this is not always the case but I have the weekends then.


Last week we had an appointment with Phoenix plastic surgeon who informed me that around toddler years, Phoe will probably have to have a new skin graph surgery because of his growth. He however said that will all depend on the plastic surgeon in Milwaukee and when/ what he feels need to be done. That was a surprise, but there is always one and I have learned to take it one day at a time and TRUST God with it all.


My prayers lately have consisted of so many hopes that Phoenix and Rowan will develop a kindred friendship and that they would both view Phoenix's life as a gift and not a curse. How to raise them this way I am not sure. But I am sure that Suffering though painful and hard offers us new perspective and deep strength and I hope that by the Grace of God Phoenix sees life through that lens. Because i have seen the stares and lack of compassion for Children and adults with wheelchairs or just special needs and know that the road can be hard.


Rowan is soo adorable as usual becoming so articulate and complimentary. He is just making us laugh all the time. Everyday he is a bit more adventurous and a ton more interested in Phoenix, which makes my heart happy. Rowans favorite things these days is to put on our shoes and walk around, he loves his cowboy hat as well.


For Mother's day the boys bought me a beautiful new bracelet and made me breakfast in bed, that was mainly Mike. It was a beautiful day of being showered with love. I love my boys and man in such a deep way and am so content in all that God has given me.


Every night lately I have had a heart FULL of thankfulness for such a rich life of people I love and who love me and a beautiful family. Thank you to you all for being a part of that thankful heart and for loving and journeying with our family.

2 comments:

  1. Megan,
    How exciting for Phoenix to be getting new equipment soon. As for Phoenix and Rowan having a good perspective about disability, I am sure with you and Mike as parents, they will. You are so encouraging and full of Faith that I am sure it will get passed along to the boys:)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meggers, I'm so excited for Phoenix's new gear! I applaud you for pursuing your options for optimal outcomes. I'm sure you & Mike are fabulous parents for Rowan & Phoenix, and I'm equally confident that God will develop in each of them a love for each other.

    Several years ago I was at a restaurant with my parents and I saw a young child with Down Syndrome waiting with her family to be seated. Those siblings were just lovin' on that girl - there was such love between all of them! Beautiful, simply beautiful!

    Wish I had the money to pay to have your house cleaned once a week for a year! But since I don't, I'll just offer this encouragement...keep you head up. You'll get things figured out eventually. And until then, remember that you are not successful only when you have a clean house or if your dishes are done. You are successful because you are loved by God and you love God.

    Peace out! ;)

    ReplyDelete